Friday, March 4, 2011

IS A MARITAL SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT BINDING AFTER RECONCILIATION AND DISMISSAL?

I frequently receive questions from people regarding their family law issues. The following is a question which the inquirer agreed may be publicly revealed, and my answer to the question:

QUESTION: Is a marital settlement agreement [MSA] still binding after reconciliation and dismissal? Is a Marital Settlement Agreement still binding if the parties reconciled and then dismissed the entire case with the court?

ANSWER: No - the dismissal of the underlying case ended the enforceability of the Marital Settement Agreement. Whereas Code of Civil Procedure Section 664.6 provides in relevant part: If parties to pending litigaiton stipulate, in a writing signed by the parties... for settlement of the case, the court, upon motion, may enter judgment pursuant to the terms of the settlement. In your situation, the case no longer exists, so judgment cannot be entered in that case, and since the old Marital Settlement Agreement was not entered during a subsequent pending case, it is not enforceable in that subsequent case.

This educational blog is brought to you by DONALD F. CONVISER, a Los Angeles Certified Family Law Specalist, owner of Warner Center Law Offices in Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley, an effective and aggressive Los Angeles Family Law and Divorce Lawyer serving clients in the courts of Los Angeles and Ventura County for over 35 years, offering a free confidential consultation regarding your divorce or family law issues, at 818/880-8990, www.conviser.net

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will love to share my testimony to all the people in the world, because someone out there might have same problem on how i got the love of my life back, to be with me he left me to another woman for no reason and i try to make things work for both of us yet things where getting worse and i love him so much and there is nothing i could do to get him back until i met a testimony share by vivian from UK on the internet talking about a powerful spell caster who brought her lover back within 12hours and i decide to give him a try and to my greatest surprise he also did it for me just as he did for violet. Dr Amba you are a great spell caster who help me to solve my problem.After three day my lover called and told me he is coming back to sought out things with me, I was surprise when I saw him and he started crying for forgiveness and that he never knew what came over him that he will never leave me again. Right now I am the happiest woman on earth for what this great spell caster did for me and i have introduce many of my friends that have a similar problems,and their problem were solve easily with the great help of Dr.Amba, you can contact him via email; ambatemple@yahoo.com