Sunday, February 3, 2013

CAN I OBTAIN 50/50 PHYSICAL AND LEGAL CUSTODY OF MY DAUGHTER?

QUESTION: Is it possible for me to obtain 50/50 physical and legal custody of our 1-1/2 year old daughter? The mother and I were never married but we lived together prior to and including a couple months into our daughter's life. Since then we have split and she lives with her parents, while I live by myself. I have a stable job, and can support myself as well as my daughter. ================================================= MY RESPONSE: It will depend to a large degree of the amount and quality of parenting (and/or visitation) that you have done since you separated from the mother. If you have not had significant involvement in your daughter's life since then, your custody/visitation will likely be awarded to you in a Paternity case in steps, starting with a little, and progressing with time, potentially to a 50/50 custody share. You are advised to consult with and retain the services of an experienced Family Law Attorney to file and pursue a Paternity case under the Uniform Parentage Act on your behalf.

No comments: