Tuesday, October 16, 2012

CAN I SELL A CAR BEFORE FILING A DIVORCE AND HAVE IT PICKED UP AFTERWARDS?

QUESTION: My husband abandoned me and our 12 year old daughter almost 2 months ago and is not helping finacially towards the household or the child. Two weeks later I was laid off from a very good paying job (he knows that). I filed for a divorce. My question is: before the filing date I had sold a vehicle (for money I desperately needed to care for myself and our child) that had been sitting here for over 20 years; it was not running, and it was never registered to me or my husband. There is a document stating the last known owner lived in Tuscon, Az. The vehicle was picked up after the filing date. Can I get in trouble for this? I have absolutley no money to pay my bills and am far behind on them. =============================================== MY RESPONSE: Probably not. If you sold the car before the divorce was filed, you didn't violate the automatic temporary restraining orders [ATROs] on the reverse side of the Summons. The fact that the car was picked up after you filed likely won't make a difference. In any event, if you sold the car to pay for the necessities of life, the sale wouldn't violate

No comments: