Sunday, August 12, 2012

WHAT CAN I DO WHEN MY EX DOESN'T LET ME SPEAK TO MY SON?

QUESTION: My ex and I recently got a court ordered custody schedule. In it, it says neither parent can prevent or restrict the other from speaking to our son. He is saying he will not allow me to speak to our son during the time he has him. I have told him I am willing to set up a pre-arranged time for me to speak with my son, and that I will not prevent him from speaking to our son, either. I have majority custody, and our son is about to be a year old. What can I do?

MY RESPONSE: Document your communications with your ex, by e-mail if possible, and save your e-mails to him and his e-mails to you, especially his refusals to allow you to talk to your son during your ex's time with your son, and try to call to speak to your son at least once a day during the time your ex has your son (but not to the point of annoyance) - and keep detailed records of your efforts, your ex's responses, and the results of your calls. Your options, once you have sufficient evidence, would be to file and prosecute a Contempt of Court against your ex, or to file and prosecute a Request for Order modifying child custody and/or visitation because of your ex's refusal to allow your communication with your son during your ex's visitation time.

No comments: