Monday, February 14, 2011

WHAT CAN I DO TO FINALIZE MY DIVORCE?

I frequently receive questions from people regarding their family law issues. The following is a question which the inquirer agreed may be publicly revealed, and my answer to the question:

QUESTION: What can I do to finalize my divorce? If my husband served me with divorce papers and I filed my response, what can I do if he does not finalize the paperwork? I want the divorce to go through but he is not moving forward.

ANSWER: Prepare, date and sign your Preliminary and Final Declarations of Disclosure [including your attached Income and Expense Declartion and your Schedule of Assets and Debts]and your Declaration re Service of Declaration of Disclosure and Income and Expense Declaration and have them served on your husband. Service can't be done by a party, so you will have to have somebody else, over the age of 18, serve those documents by mail and sign a Proof of Service; then file your Declaration re Service of Preliminary and Final Declarations of Disclosure and Income and Expense Declaration, and that Proof of Service, with the Court Clerk. Don't file your Schedule of Assets and Debts with the Court Clerk. File a Request for Trial Setting to have a trial set in your case.

You would best consult first with and retain a Family Law Attorney if there are significant issues such as Child Custody, Visitation, Child Support, Spousal Support, or Property Division involved in your divorce.

This educational blog is brought to you by DONALD F. CONVISER, a Los Angeles Certified Family Law Specalist, owner of Warner Center Law Offices in Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley, an effective and aggressive Los Angeles Divorce Attorney serving clients in the courts of Los Angeles and Ventura County for over 35 years, offering a free confidential consultation regarding your divorce or family law issues, at 818/880-8990, responding to questions posed to him about Divorce and Family Law.

No comments: