Monday, January 24, 2011

CAN I GET CHILD SUPPORT IN CALIFORNIA IF I AM NOT GETTING A DIVORCE?

DONALD F. CONVISER, a Certified Family Law Specalist, owner of Warner Center Law Offices in Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley, an effective and aggressive Family Law and Divorce Attorney serving clients in the courts of Los Angeles and Ventura County for over 35 years, offering a free confidential consultation regarding your divorce or family law issues, at 818/880-8990, brings you an informative and educational blog, responding to questions posed to him about Divorce and Family Law.

I frequently receive questions from people regarding their family law issues. The following is a question which the inquirer agreed may be publicly revealed, and my answer to the question:

QUESTION: Can I get child support in California if I am not getting a divorce? I have been separated for two years from my wife, and my kids live with me. Can I get support without filing for divorce in California? We have not been living together since our separation, and even file taxes separately.

ANSWER: Yes, you can. Your options are 1) for you to file independent private Civil Action pursuant to Family Code Section 4000 to enforce your spouse's duty to support [you will likely need to retain a Family Law Attorney to do that], or 2) to seek and obtain the assistance of the county pursuant to Family Code Section 4002 to enforce your spouse's duty to support, on behalf of your child. In the county of Los Angeles, CSSD is the public service agency which you would need to contact for such assistance.

No comments: