Tuesday, September 18, 2012

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO FINALIZE A DIVORCE?

QUESTION: I am the respondent to the petition my husband served on me. He has been paying the rent and bills since I am unemployed. There was only one case hearing due to him stopping to pay the rent for a month and there was a court order. So based on that hearing and another one scheduled I want to have an estimate on how long more this divorce might take to be finalized.

MY RESPONSE: Your divorce case doesn't get finalized by itself. You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you, and if you haven't yet filed your Response, to do that and move your case before your husband has your default entered. Otherwise, your husband could just sit on the case and do nothing. If you can't afford an attorney, you should go to your Superior Court's self-help clinic for assistande by a volunteer lawyer

No comments: