Tuesday, September 18, 2012

HOW DO I COLLECT BACK SUPPORT FOR MY SUPPORT?

QUESTION: I'm about to turn 18 and my child support is about to stop. My mom has had a case open for my biological dad since I was born but, they barley found him in 2010 to order the payments. How do I get all the back pay he owes me since I was born? ___________ MY RESPONSE: You don't. Support payments go to the other supporting parent, i.e., your mother, for the cost to support you during your minority. Also, unless there was a support order issued by a court many years ago, there will not be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for your mother to collect. The Court won't order child support ordered retroactive to a date before the child support order was sought, which you indicated was in 2010.

No comments: