Thursday, December 30, 2010

CAN I GET A DIVORCE IF I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SPOUSE LIVES?

DONALD F. CONVISER, a Certified Family Law Specalist, owner of Warner Center Law Offices in Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley, an effective and aggressive Family Law and Divorce Attorney serving clients in the courts of Los Angeles and Ventura County for over 35 years, offering a free confidential consultation regarding your divorce or family law issues, at 818/880-8990, brings you another informative and educational blog, responding to questions posed to him by members of the public in areas of Family Law and Divorce.

I frequently receive questions from people regarding their family law issues. The following is a question which the inquirer agreed may be publicly revealed, and my answer to the question:

QUESTION: How can I proceed with a divorce if I do not know where my husband lives? We went through separation of property in our legal separation over 3 years ago, and now I want to file for divorce. However, he has moved out of state and I am unaware of his location. Do I need to get in touch with him to move forward with my divorce?

ANSWER: You should contact his friends and relatives in an effort to locate him, so that he can be personally served with the divorce papers after they are filed. Do you know what state and/or part of that state he moved to? If you are unable to locate him, you would best hire a competent Family Law Attorney to handle your divorce to get your husband served through publication, which would first require a due diligence search by a qualified third party in an effort to locate your husband before applying for a court order to permit service by publication.

No comments: